Friday, January 13, 2012

Everyday no makeup makeup

A dear friend of mine was left incredulous after one of my recent makeup posts where I claimed to use about a bazillion products "literally every day" and to be honest, I don't think she believed that I did actually use them. In fact, I think a lot of people who see me on a daily basis would not believe how many products I have on my face.

So to appease Bel, today I am going to outline my daily makeup routine + the slight variations of the same look that get me through almost every occasion.

The base I always, always start with. ALWAYS.

Skin:

- First and foremost, eye cream. I have terrible dark circles so I use eyecream every morning and night to rehydrate. Wait for a few minutes before you do anything else to let it do it's job.
- I then apply a pore minimizer to give me a nice smooth base before I apply any makeup. I quite enjoy Estee Lauder's Idealist Pore Minimizing Skin Refinisher. You only need like 3 drops for the whole face.
- Moisturiser. Derrr. My skin is incredibly dry so I heart First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream.
- Depending on if I'm going to need my makeup to stay on for a while, or if I'm going to a special event, I would apply primer here, as it makes your slap stay put for ages. NP Set works for me.
- Depending on if it's a day/night look, I then apply tinted moisturiser or foundation. Tinted moisturiser for the middle of summer, sheer foundation like Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua or Napoleon's Sheer Genius for day and for more full coverage I go for Napoleon's China Doll foundation.
- FINALLY I finish off my base with concealer. Ever since discovering the magic of a concealer that matches my foundation and is not almost white I've never been happier. One needs so much less foundation if one has a great concealer. Benefit's Boi-ing concealer is the greatest as it works wonders on blemishes and pimples but can also be creamy enough (if you warm it on your fingers) to use on the delicate under-eye area.

Eyes:
- I start with an eye primer that's the same as my skin tone (Laura Mercier's Eye Basics in wheat). Even if I'm not wearing eye shadow that day, I still use this product. It evens out the skin tone on the eyelid, hides capillaries, whatever. It's genius.
- And if I DO decide to wear eye shadow, the previous step acts as the perfect base to keep it all in place and prevent creasing. Which brings me to Clinique's lid smoothies! These are cream eye shadows which I then apply over the top of the primer. Cashew Later is a beautiful, magic, divine almost non-colour that makes you look all wide-awake and refreshed and opens up those peepers. Nice.
- I then line my lower waterline (you know, inside the bottom lashes) with Benefit's Eye Bright eyeliner. A fleshy-coloured eyeliner that also aids me in my mission to look awake as it helps counteract redness. More flattering than stark white.
- Mascara obviously is the finishing touch. Brown if I'm going for a really 'natural' look and black if I want full, thick lashes (Maybelline Volum' Express Falsies).

So that is my default preparation, every day. It takes me about 5 minutes. Then I just add any of these variations depending on my mood:
- Peach creme blush on the apples of my cheeks + peachy lip balm/lipstick.
- Stain on my cheeks and lips in either pink (Benefit's Posietint) or coral (Benefit's Cha Cha Tint) + Burt's Bees lip balm.
- Bronzer applied on the high points of the face for an all-over 'sunkissed' look. But a lot of people can't tell when I'm 'bronzed' because I just look like other peoples 'normal alive colour'.
- If I need a little glowy-ness I also add some illuminator. Benefit Watts Up is my fave at the moment because it's a stick so it's really easy + quick to apply with no streakiness and makes you look all golden. Prettttty.
- Will often also press a little powder eyeshadow on top of the cream shadow in a taupey-latte colour. It not only sets it for hours but makes you look a little more 'done' without being over the top made up.

And then I look a little something like this!:


It all looks so effortless. LIKE I'M NOT EVEN WEARING ANYTHING. Oh my god. I know you're wondering if it's even worth it...but trust me it is an improvement on what I'm working with.

No comments:

Post a Comment