I've been frantically getting ready for my fast-upcoming trip to New York lately (less than two weeks to go! When did that happen?? How fast did time go by since when I decided to go, let alone booked everything?!). Oh and by 'frantically getting ready' I mean extensively analysing my best options about what phone to take with me/how to make it work in the US and compiling lists of what I want to buy. So. That has kept me preeeetty busy. I'll start packing soon. Maybe. And I will definitely make a trip to my uncle's to borrow his luggage. Soon. I swear.
Until then! A basic summary of things I want to buy. Not that I am limiting myself to what is on this list. Said list is acting as a mere guideline of what I want to look for, but am certainly not limited to buying.
- Cute flats. Am constantly, constantly looking for aesthetically pleasing alternatives to my ever-present ballet flats.
- A Marc Jacobs watch. ALMOST got one for graduation, but went with the Mulberry Alexa bag instead. I know, what was I thinking.
- A mani/pedi from NY's infamous salons.
- CLOTHES. Dresses, jeans, and more dresses are all focal points.
- MAKEUP. Duhhhh. By simply browsing online, I have already pre-emptively allocated $500 simply to NARS. Am not brave enough to even start on Sephora. What a beast. That store will be the end of my life's savings. That's not even an exaggeration. Oh my God.
- A red velvet cupcake. Possibly from Magnolia Street Bakery, but am open to other suggestions. There's probably a heaps cooler cupcake place in NY now. Shit, there's probably a heaps cooler dessert treat in NY now. Cupcakes are so passe. Oh my God I'm not cool enough for this city.
- Also, did I mention a brand spankin' new Benefit store just opened in SoHo?? It's like NY knows I'm coming. Benefit gets at least $300 allocated to it in illuminators alone.
- Presents! I have received so so many wonderful gifts from the delightful people in my life who have had the pleasure of traveling already, that it's time to repay the favour. That is a tonne of beautiful cousins and aunts and uncles.
- Chuck Taylors. I have been holding off on replacing my current almost-entirely-worn-though Converse until I get to America and this trip is not coming a moment too soon. I have a stress-induced panic attack pretty much every day that my shoes will finally wear right through the sole as I'm walking. Scary.
- Cool runners. Going to the gym is an embarrassment every single day wearing the shoes I currently own. I have had them since I was like 13. This stuff is heaps cheaper in the US right? Because the situation is dire.
- Have I mentioned makeup? Benefit High Beam, NARS Orgasm blush, Sephora roller ball perfumes...I am coming for you. Oh, but most importantly NARS Love Devotion lipstick - my current stick that Anthea bought me in Paris has almost run out. It's the perfect coral lippie in EVER and I'm going to get like, three. Seriously.
- Expensive beauty products from Estee Lauder. Advanced Night Repair Serum which retails here for $105...I am coming for you.
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
So, despite the medium-ness of last night's Emmys I actually have a lot to cover. Mainly of the gushing about 'Friday Night Lights' variety because it is effing amazing and finally got SOME of the recognition it deserved. More on this later. But first, the dresses and funny bits.
BORING. BORING BORING BORING.
There are two types of red-carpet dresses I absolutely loooathe (think: Madonna v. hydrangeas) and they are nude-tonal shimmery blah messes and red dresses the colour of the red carpet. I mean, Jesus, WHY do you want to bleed into the floor? It's outdated, it hardly ever looks modern, it's slightly tacky and it's been done. And last night it got done a lot. Too too much. I was so disappointed/bored I wanted to stab my own eyes out (lucky I didn't though because then I would've missed all the FNL love!!!). Anyway, take a gander at the amount of RED:
There is one more red lady to come, but she goes in another category. Stay tuned.
Average - Good
I don't HATE any of these. But I don't love them either.
Pictures speak louder than words...
I know one is red, but I don't care. At least it's not the same colour of the carpet.
It wasn't necessarily these people's outfits that blew my socks off...
CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS, CAN'T LOSE - FINALLY
Last night, 'Friday Night Lights' FIIIINALLY got some of the recognition it deserved. One of the greatest shows in ever won 2 of the 4 awards it was nominated for last night and I swear, you could feel the love in the room. Jon Hamm even loves it. He has a boy crush on Kyle Chandler. Speaking of Kyle - he truly is The Man. As Coach Eric Taylor, he is the perfect husband/coach/dad/man that I would want in my life. Oh my God. Seeing him win last night was incredible. My heart swelled up inside my chest and stomach felt like it was in my ass. But in a good way. I was excited.
When his name was announced during the reading of the nominees, you could hear the crowd couldn't you? There were a lot of FNL fans in that audience. I also thought it was so perfect that Minka Kelly got to present his award to him - they're family down there in Dillon so I personally felt the moment was especially sweet. It's clear how they all idolise him. All the Panthers were madly tweeting after he won, so so excited for their Coach. It was beautiful. And in case you didn't see it (why didn't you see it?!) here's the video:
As you can see, at the end, Coach tries to run back to the mic to thanks Mrs. Coach who he forgot in his speech. I'm not sure how, because, duh, but he did. My heart ached for her because that was her moment too. She did not win her own category (fucking Juliana Marguiles are you kidding me? Two years in a row?? This was not her time. She will have other times. This was it for Connie Britton and FNL) and it reminded me of last year's Oscars. Michelle Williams was nominated as Best Actress for 'Blue Valentine' and Ryan Gosling was not nominated for Best Actor. If you've seen the admittedly amazing film, you know she didn't pull that performance out on her own. It was very much a partnership. Similarly, Coach and Mrs. Coach Taylor made the show through their representation of their relationship - a lot of it was improvised and you can tell because it feels so real. (Duana over at LaineyGossip articulates her feelings on this also and I heartily agree - I had pangs http://laineygossip.com/Connie_Britton_at_the_Emmy_Awards_2011_19sept11.aspx?CatID=0&CelID=0).
Anyway. Life is not perfect. Us FNL fans will take what we can get. CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS, CAN'T LOSE!!!!!! If you haven't yet - Watch. This. Show. Below are pics of Connie Britton, Minka Kelly, Aimee Teegarden and Kyle Motherfucking Chandler:
BUT WHERE THE HELL WAS RIGGINS???????????? Do you know how badly I wanted to see THIS in a suit:
Alas...perhaps next year.