Wednesday, October 27, 2010

peace and fucking quiet

I don't know if you've heard, but I wrote my Honours thesis this year. it's kind of a big deal. A 20,000-word big deal. A 90-page big deal. A no sleep, no peace, no relaxing, all-absorbing big deal. RIGHT HONOURS PEEPS? Or was that just me?

And forgive me for sounding self indulgent (for a change...) but I would like some fucking recognition for it. Not from you lovely kind people who I see ocassionally (actually, you have all been pretty great in making me feel like I did something significant - thanks) but from my bloody parents. Why hello again 14-year-old me from livejournal. It's been a while since we've seen you.

Anyway, I don't expect to be wrapped in cotton wool and applauded every time I enter the goddamn room but maybe a "Good job Aph! So glad you made it through without dying you were pretty stressed for a while there! That was a Big. Deal." And then some celebratory drinks. Many drinks. Drinks are good.

But if I am asked about my future one more time I might lose it. My parents are already on my case as soon as they see me watching tv or getting out of bed after 9am. 9am!!!! When else in my lifetime will it be appropriate for me to get out of bed at 11am and either stay in my pjs all day watching dvd boxsets or going to the movies alone and shopping for makeup I don't need? When else will I get to be just finishing uni with no responsibilities in my life??

This is a warning to all y'all. Please don't ask me what this degree 'makes' me, or what I am doing now and what kind of job I will start looking for. Or when I am going to start driving 'because it's really important'. All of these questions are infuriating to me (take note Mum and Dad). But in case you too are wondering, here are some answers for you:
- Nothing, it's just an Arts degree not a doctorate.
- Nothing. I'm an ex-student who is now casually employed. I am trying to enjoy this brief period of my life thanks very much.
- Nothing in particular, just menial shit so that I can save money for lots of travelling. I have not been anywhere and I don't want a proper job because then I won't be able to leave it. I know you're thinking "What are you talking about Aph?! Just get a job and take leave for a few weeks or quit if you have to so you can travel!" Problems with this: I want way more than a few weeks to travel. I'm talking MONTHS. What employer would give me that after such a short time? Also, if I WAS miraculously given a proper job I would not have the guts to quit IN THIS ECONOMY* for fear of never getting another job. So that's out.
- I know driving is a pretty handy skill. I know it's convenient. However my life is not insufferable because I have to take public transport. To people who drive: it is possible to easily get around with public transport, trust me. Also, we only have one car (shock! horror!) and I can't afford to buy my own (see above, travel).

So now that you know can everyone PLEASE back off? Again, mainly talking to Mum and Dad. Can someone please teach my dad about the internet so he sees this.

P.S. I hope you're now aware of the recurring theme of what I want from this post: I WANT TO DO NOTHING. I am chilling. Deal with it.

*DListed fans that one's for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment